Friday, February 5, 2016

Dowager Duchess at Edensor House: Gravel Paths

Dinner tonight in honor of a friend's beloved grandmother.  She would have been 99.  Grandma's chocolate pie will be the star, and focused conversation for all, about grandmothers.  
.
A dinner ritual for many years, I was unaware & suppose my continual mention of my grandma earned me an invitation.
.
Days a bit longer and  will be able to see my host's garden before last light.  Designed her garden about 2 years ago, and they are totally DIY.
.
Snakes are a problem at their home, and they have 2 young daughters.  
.
Gravel is designed up to the house, and stones within the gravel, as needed for easier main paths.
.
Gravel with pathway stones has been done for thousands of years.
.
Another benediction for gravel with stones, below, Debo, Duchess of Devonshire, if Debo does it, case closed.



Duchess of Devonshire, below, at her dowager house, above, Edensor House, an old vicarage, she called, Old Vic.  Note, exquisite pruning, below, to the right of the door?




Centuries old, below, the backdrop landscape behind the Duchess is no accident.  None.  

The Duchess of Devonshire, photographed in 2010 by Emma Hardy

Old Vic, below, rendering to be sold at Sotheby's.

Painting by Catriona Hall, Old Vicarage, signed with artist's monogram, £600 - 800

The Duchess, below, was keen on many outdoor activities, in one of her books, can't remember which, she mentioned how cold/wet/mucky some pursuits were but the game was on for all included, Show No Discomfort.  




Before pie, we'll walk the new gravel paths.  Today, temps are freezing, winds gusting to 20mph, and we will do our best to show-no-discomfort.
.
Garden & Be Well,    XO Tara
.
Pics from Sotheby's .  The Style Saloniste has a bit more about the Duchess, here.

6 comments:

Connie in Hartwood said...

I thought of you when I browsed the first few pics of the online catalog for this auction. I loved them so much that I coughed up some $$ to buy the hard copy of the catalog, so I can keep it forever!

Marta Martin said...

Love a gravel path! No matter how large or small the garden, it adds formality and structure.

Karen said...

Is gravel a good thing to do if you have a snake problem? I never heard of that before.

Jean Campbell said...

Suggest they research cats, outdoor cats, as snake deterrents and hunters.

La Contessa said...

Well, I might ADD what is good enough for DEBO Is GOOD enough for LA CONTESSA TOO!We did the gravel in the backyard this winter............OH MY!What a difference................my only concern is we will have to re-place as every time the dogs poop we lose some gravel in the SCOOP!They better have the same ROCK in two years time??!!!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

You lost me at 'snakes' but then I saw the photo of her with gun...that explains both. I do not like snakes and do everything in my power to limit their living amongst me.
The photo of Duchess in blue...BREATHTAKING! I want to her her when I grow up.
The house...unbelievable! It captured my heart second only to my own.
Today: a foot of snow with more coming down, only to stop on Thursday. I am grateful for a wood stove and a full pantry.