Monday, February 8, 2016

Design: Speak Volumes With No Words

Live - Love - Laugh blares a painted garden sign, on the shelf, with price tag.  Next time you see any garden sign/plaque for sale think, "Danger Will Robinson.", while asking yourself the Dante'sque question, Does this path enlarge, or diminish, my thought?
.
Mostly, if words are put into a garden Alexis de Tocqueville has been given another arrow to release at USA.  Mostly.  And that's one of the joys of designing your garden, knowing when to use your tiny percentage allowed, to break rules.
.
In a garden it is important no matter the joys & sorrows amongst your days/years, you know you have a place actively nurturing sorrows and increasing joys.  Without effort.  This layer of garden design is rarely mentioned, but inherent.

Fun hedge idea:

Made me laugh, above.  No words.  Is it whimsy, or a pun?
.
Doesn't matter.
.
Secondary smile, above, at the height of the evergreen wall.  Noticed decades ago the economics of gardens and hedges.  The 4' hedge easily maintained by the owner.  The 6' hedge, still maintained by the owner, but a ladder is involved, or hired gardener.  8' + hedges pruned with scaffolding or cherry picker for hired gardener to reach.
.
Garden & Be Well,    XO Tara
.
Found pic on Pinterest, and it had no link to provenance other than what is stamped on the picture, Getty Images.
.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.", Alexis de Tocqueville.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Tara,
Thanks for leaving a comment on my 1010ParkPlace blog because it led me to you! I'll be so glad when I can start building my home and move from this Film Noir apartment building. My lawn/garden area will be small, but I will be devouring your ideas!

XOXOX,
Brenda

Penelope Bianchi said...

Hi! I love this!! Is this a wall with Boston Ivy on it? (doesn't need trimming; right?)

It reminds me of the David Hicks garden!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Firstly: the Tocqueville is so true, unfortunately, so very true.
The hedge with tree form...made me smile but in a 'what in the world' frame of mind.
I'm a fan of little to no maintenance but because I'm reaching an age where it's all work with little time left for play. And, I want to play a lot more before I die.

Lori Buff said...

I love it.
I love when silence says much.

La Petite Gallery said...

That is great, lots of work to get there. How are you Tara? The other day it was 20 below and today 50 the snow is melting like crazy, messy. yvonne