Friday, December 4, 2015

How to Transpose Interior Style Into Your Landscape


Designing a garden, I must go inside your home.  I need to see how you live in the home and which garden views, from inside, are the most important.  Your color choices are important, from, sofa, wallpaper, paint, art, accent pieces.
.
Another element is how furniture is arranged in the living room, dining room, and breakfast room.  Those arrangements I often copy exactly for furniture groupings outside, in your garden.  Style choices for the garden furniture too.  Your interiors/exteriors must flow.

bf58c76ba18d487ffad347b19039df40
pic via The Garden Home.


 Provence, terrace de luxe:
Pic via Pinterest, here.

Arranging plantings in your garden, I often copy a few groupings, below, from table top, chest top, mantle top.  Transposing a pair of lamps into a pair of understory trees, pair of plates into a pair of plant drifts, pretty bowl at the center, below, could easily be the focal point bench/urn, you get the idea.

Arranging Decorative Accessories on a Sofa Table and other  pieces of furniture.

Pic via The Garden Home.

 :
Pic from Pinterest, here.

Garden, above, could be pulled from a mantle with a pair of vases, a lovely bowl in the center, and a nice painting on the wall.  See it?
.
How you design your table tops inside your home says a lot about how your brain works symmetrical/asymmetrical etc.  And I know you'll like the same styling outside.
.
Quite fun, it never pales, when a client will say, "Oh, I love that.", then I reply, "I simply copied that chest top you have in the dining room.", "OMG, you did."
.
Subtle & sublime.
.
No one taught me to do these things, I just knew to do them.
.
My grandmother, Laura, was a great piano player, by ear.  Little access to sheet music, she was known to play the newspaper or magazines.  Transposing written words into notes.  I like to think I've transposed her piano playing into my garden design methodology !
.
Now, look around your home with new eyes, and take it outside into the garden.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO T


3 comments:

Jacinta Arnold said...

Gold. I have transformed my garden thanks to you. Xx

La Petite Gallery said...

Fantastic ideas. I like the lamp hanging in the tree.
We are having great weather this Dec, Going to Boston for a few days.
Have a great Sunday Tara. Liked the post.
yvonne

Anonymous said...

This was one of the best posts I read lately. Harmonizing the interior with the exterior must be the successful recipe for a wonderful home. In the end, life outside has to be as enjoyable as inside.
We truly loved this post because we too share the same opinion and with our colorful rugs we try to bring and create a natural design in an interior space. Colors mean life and all the outside nature means colors. This is why we believe that being close to nature is what one needs for achieving happiness.
I invite you to dive into our colorful world created by our beautiful lady artisans in Nepal, Morocco, Turkey or India. Hope you will enjoy it!
http://www.sukhirugs.com