Monday, November 9, 2015

Small Garden Landscapes: 2 Opposing Views.

In France I learned to Sky Scape, which is landscaping with trees.  Until then I had never considered landscaping the sky.  Small gardens, especially, respond to landscaping the sky.  Which is why my tiny cottage garden lived BIG.
.
More, I use trees with contrasting foliage textures, and seasonal blooms/berries/fall color too.
.
Spring, below, Sky Scape in my cottage garden, Chinese snowball & Kwanzan cherry.
.


Last weekend I was keynote speaker at the Clayton County Master Gardener Extension Volunteers 10th Annual Symposium.  My topic, The Garden View.  Another speaker's topic, Gardening in Small Spaces.
.
My lecture included bits about small space gardening too, since I had 3 decades in a small garden.
.
Amazingly, their small space gardening & my small space gardening were 180 degrees from each other.  Their view looked down at the small garden, literally, below.  Which I enjoyed, seeing the various small plant combinations.

color - Click image to find more hot Pinterest pins....put pots in front flower bed by strawberries...great idea!
Pic, above, from Better Homes & Gardens.

Top/bottom pics are my view of small space gardens, looking up, into trees & sky.



Though small, my cottage garden, with Sky Scaping managed the cluster home subdivision beautifully.  Both top/bottom pics were shot in my front yard, at least a dozen houses encroaching.
.
Not in my realm.
.
Obviously, the sky view, and the view looking down are both important.
.
Garden & Be Well,    XO Tara
.
Amazing venue.  More amazing was the finished product of the symposium.  Catered lunch, folder with handouts and vendor discounts, vendor booths, raffle drawings, snacks, extra drinks, excellent audio/visual help, etc.  Thank you Clayton County Master Gardeners for making my job easy.

No comments: