Friday, September 18, 2015

Beauty Secured: Taking Cuttings

Moving into our new home, late June, to today, I've enjoyed this 'bush'.
.
Full of blooms in June, and every day afterward.
.
By late August curiosity was too strong, I walked over to inspect.  It resides on my neighbor's property.


I knew what it was at 1st inspection, never seen in a book, in person, or heard it spoken of.
.
Sun lover, drought proof, insect/disease proof, deer proof.  New flower buds still drip fat along the stems, enough to last until first frost.
.
BEAUTIFUL.


 Before designing gardens full time, I was a professional grower for 2.5 years.  Of course I know how to propagate this beauty.
.
Do you know it by sight, already?
.
Permission.  I had to get permission to take cuttings.  Will take enough to give to owner, neighbors, and friends.
.

Double flowering, white weeping Rose of Sharon.  Hibiscus syriacus, Althea.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO Tara
.
Pics taken yesterday.
.
At the property line, above, is neighbor's view of their plant with our garden & home in the backdrop.  Our homes, both over a century old, are each near the road, and close to the right side property line.  This gave space for orchard & potager to the left of the house, and acreage at the back for barn, livestock, and pond.  

4 comments:

Connie in Hartwood said...

I have never seen a weeping Rose of Sharon. It's beautiful! (I have cuttings of a variegated one in my basement grow window right now. Looks as if at least half of them may have roots. Got them from a garden club friend. Don't know the cultivar, but it has gorgeous foliage and the flowers actually OPEN! I'm so excited.)

Jean Campbell said...

Hibiscus syriacus also attracts hummingbirds, a fact not often mentioned.

Anonymous said...

Tara, I ask for a sister gardener's help. Please share how you gathered the strength to move away from your beloved garden? I am a senior, selling my home of 37+ years and moving into a newer, more manageable one. My husband's health issues are our primary focus at this stage of our lives. But leaving our old-growth oaks, azaleas, antique roses, hydrangeas, gardenias and untold natives is breaking our hearts. There is scant hope that a new owner will shower them with the love and care that we have. And our wildlife friends will miss this safe sanctuary as well Such guilt. A subdivision dotted with builders' soulless landscaping awaits us, and we are so sad. Does it get better, dear Tara? Thank you , and God bless.

Anonymous said...

Oh Tara! How gorgeous!!!!
Can I find it here in California?

I love everything you are doing! May I suggest you line your pond? We didn't....in the beginning....and my beloved did finally......after heartbreak and almost disaster (those ducks were so smart...); maybe you don't need to!

The Giannettis lined their pond in Ojai! It is gorgeous....and safe from evaporation!

Ours is doing well.....and ducks are still in it. They don't migrate from Santa Barbara! Smart!!!!

Beautiful posts! I love them!!!