Wednesday, August 26, 2015

A Personal Business Choice

Garden & Conservatory I designed for a client, below, in Macon, GA.
.
This pic, I discovered in Southern Living magazine.
.
Another shot from the same shoot made the cover of a different magazine.
.
Both, discovered via social media.
.
Uncredited magazine work, greater in quantity than my credited work.

The Complete Guide to Growing French Hydrangeas | SouthernLiving.com

Another example of my uncredited work, below, in Better Homes & Gardens magazine.

Guest Green House

Nature of the beast.  Surprised at the lopsided figures of credited/uncredited accumulated.
.
Being in business, and getting credit for my work is important.  However, another factor to my business success, is in force.  This factor brings in the most work.
.
Counterintuitive, and oddly, ridiculed by some who are quite close to me.
.
Yet, I do it anyway.  I will not be thrown off mission.
.
WE MUST ENRICH AND PREPARE THE SOIL, PLANT AND TEND THE SEEDS, WEED OUT WHATEVER STIFLES GROWTH, AND GIVE OURSELVES FULLY TO THE PROCESS AND THE HARVEST. OUR LIVES ARE NOT FOR US ALONE. WE ARE HERE TO GROW SOMETHING THAT FEEDS OTHERS.

- Parker Palmer, from “Scars Born of Love”
quote, above, found, here, On Being. 
Disney quote
From my Pinterest quotes board, above.
.
What about you?  Do you feel the winds of judgement at times?
.
Blessedly, rougher winds came earlier, and I learned to navigate my course.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO Tara


10 comments:

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Wow! Such reputable magazines... Shame on them! Is it so difficult to contact an author and ask for permission?
Your work, Tara, is uncredited but incredibly beautiful!

Lori Buff said...

It’s a little frustrating to find images of your work and to realize you’ve not been credited. I think that’s why more and more professionals are adding a watermark to their images. Sad that they wouldn’t even give you a line in the publications.

B. said...

shocking that your work would be used uncredited in such high profile places. Maybe I am naïve? In any event, its gorgeous and I certainly hope you file a grievance, write a letter, get an editor's ear in some sort of way

Kay dancingbrushpainting.blogspot.com said...

The quote from Parker Palmer really hit home. Thank you Tara, for this whole post.
Kay

Dewena said...

Tara, how lovely and unique they both are!

I feel sure you have helped grow many others and you still do, with every honest post.

JudyMac said...

Not fair that you do not receive credit for a job well done! Homeowners should speak up and demand credit/mention for you, in some form, when pics showing the exterior of their home is featured in magazines, and a gardening magazine at that.

Unknown said...

I always look forward to your posts -- would you be receptive to the blog challenge Five Photos/Five Days ? I'd like to pass it on to you if so-- Sandy, Hoardercomesclean@gmail.com
Here's an example: https://hoardercomesclean.wordpress.com/2015/08/26/five-photosfive-stories-part-3-and-the-weekly-photo-challenge-today-was-a-good-day/
(hoping this isn't a duplicate comment, having some trouble leaving one...)

Anonymous said...

Your way you deal with being published without credit sounds like how I would react, though I've never had much of mine published! Judgement - more than I can count...unless it's someone without experience and knowledge arguing with me when I do, and that counters what they hear. Back to navigating here, among the client calls...

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Extremely frustrating and tends to make me angry when I see my work with no credits. In part, this is because the county where I live stole my photos and refused to give me credit. They actually gave someone else credit and, even worse, he took it. Dastardly deeds, all and now I see my photos on Pinterest from people who stole them from the county tourism site!
Your photos are lovely and I would contact BH&G and the other magazines letting them know. They will print acknowledgments in their magazines, giving you more press.

cotedetexas said...

I remember that first picture for sure! Wow. I'm impressed!!!!!!