Thursday, October 16, 2014

Landscapes Need the Poverty Cycle & So Do YOU

There has never been a time these boats, below, have not been in my DNA.
.
Why not take them for granted?  And, the men who kept them going.
.
From age 3 reveling in their elegance & decrepitude.
.
Sounds of water, lapping the sides in their slips.  the smell of their engines, mixed with salt water.
.
Their beauty an act of Providence, the hand of man required to maintain.
.
Constant battle.
.
Money, sweat, blood, beauty, JOY.


None are left, though a tiny portion of this boat, below, maintains a hint of what I've hunted all my life.


 By the time I learned to ride a bike, I road to the marina, below, most days until I left for college at 17.


 In the NASA Roundup, Dad found one of these old boats for sale.  Age 7, life was finally turning a corner.  One of these boats would be ours.  Mom would have none of it.
.
Many friend's families had 1 of these boats.  Every invitation to go onto the big waters of Galveston Bay refused.   Mom would have none of it.
.
Never, to this day, have I been on one of these boats.  Virginia Woolf foretold my story, Too The Lighthouse.  And, to this day, when I visit my parents, I speed walk to the little marina, remembering different times and different boats, and the men who kept them running.   These newer engines don't smell as strong but the salt water is the same.
.
Still yearning to go in that door, below.  However, now, life thrives on my side of this door.   Julien Fellowes, Gosford Park, portrayed it perfectly, here.


Where does this rabbit hole go?  This month I've told 3 clients I want them to do the blowing in certain areas in their garden.  Not because I want them to do maintenance.  It's for the relationship, for thriving, for Providence.  To receive exponentially more than they give.
.
I know the depths of what the Poverty Cycle enriches us with.
.
None of them have liked the idea.  Each had about the same expression on their face!  However, each has agreed, for awhile, to do as I ask.  Trusting from where my request has come from.
.
If you can thrive on the outside of the doors you seek, you're rich beyond measure.
.
Garden & Be Well,    XO Tara
.
Top pic, here, rest of the pics I took last month.  How many of you caught the faint echo of Enchanted April with, "...different times and different boats."  Studying historic gardens across Europe it didn't take long to realize it was the Poverty Cycles producing the greatest beauty.  Of course, The Poverty Cycle in Landscape Design, is one of my inventions.  And, more proof it's quite a delight living outside the doors I thought I would be living within.  Providence knew where I should be.  Accepting that gift has been the making of my life.
.
.
For a beautiful garden & home filling you with joy, become my client, local/on-line.
.
Award winning speaker, hire me for your group, local/out-of-state.
                                                                                 .
Books by Tara Dillard, Amazon
.
Tara Dillard & Associates Design: farm to city pied-a-terre.
.
Construction by Award Winning
Shaefer Heard Construction, licensed home-builder, renovation - new construction.  Heard's Landscaping a unit of SHC.  3 decades of service.
.
NOTE to my gardening friends... look for changes to come. 
Knew before computers/cell phones, sitting in Atlanta traffic on way to a client, 'I must reach a larger audience with the same amount of effort.'   Soon after that epiphany I signed my CBS-TV, and, books contracts on the same day.
.
Then I read an article in the NYTimes about something called 'blogging'.  Saved the article for a year before reading it.  Studied all the blogs they mentioned, hired a computer expert they quoted, and attended a blogging seminar.
.
Blogging 2.0 has arrived, my knowledge is 1.0.  A believer in copying the best historic gardens across the globe it flows into every arena of life.  Watching Maria Killam grow her career/blog/life over the past 3 years made its impact.  Signed up  for a year's course with her blogging expert, Jon Morrow
.
Changes will be slow, plodding is my adored method.  Pulling triggers here/there is spice in the mix.
.
What do YOU want?
.
Nothing is too small, too big, or too ego crushing to mention.
.
Passion lies in sharing what has filled me to the depths of grace, joy & atonement, the best landscapes created over the last 2,000+ years.

Just so you know... 

 I  welcome your input.

5 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

I wondered why you don't have clients rake or sweep for a true povery cycle? It seems kind of incongruous, using machinery.

I am fond of an old shag carpet rake from the 1970s for small sweep-ups in the garden.

Nita Stacy said...

I always love your posts. My father fished and he had a little old fishing boat that he kept going with a fix here and a fix there. He could have afforded to go buy pretty much any boat he wanted but he didn't want a big fancy boat...his little old one worked just fine and did what he needed. He was the same with his pick up truck. It was a big old one...it would haul a trailer good. It was old...but he kept it running. His friends thought he was tight with his money. He was not. He enjoyed old things and if they worked with a little nudge there was no need to get a new one.

I also loved a post of your awhile back about landscaping. I recently posted on my blog about a landscape in my neighborhood. They have spent 30,000 on the backyard and are still working. They are making it like ones you'd see at big fancy new houses. Lots of big huge rocks being brought in. I don't care for that...why bring in a big rock that does not belong in your environment naturally? It's too fake. I know my yard needs help but I will never convert it to something that doesn't look cottagy and appropriate to the 80 year old home it surrounds. No big boulders for me or the standard grouping of plants that is always done at the big expensive homes. I want to enjoy the quaintness of my neighborhood. I don't like it changing to gaudy expressions of money. Love your blog!!!!!

Nita@ModVintageLife
nitastacy@gmail.com

La Contessa said...

Love the last line here!XO

Anonymous said...

Thank you, "more proof it's quite a delight living outside the doors I thought I would be living within".

I know, never thought I would be that, but I prepared that it might be fleeting, and it was. Good to have a like-minded soul. And these gardens I get to create...could be worse.

Gaveen said...

What is the boat in the first photo? Looks like a boat with an old Cadillac roof on it or something? Would love to be able to look it up