Thursday, June 6, 2013

Mass Market Annuals?

Mass market annuals are one of the least sustainable-eco-green things produced.


Insecticides, fungicides, weed-killers, water, electricity, heating, plastic, gasoline, trucks, soil, labor.
.
Compare to a packet of self-seeding annuals or the vignette, above.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
Pic same garden as previous post.  I was a professional grower for years.  We grew from plugs, seeds, cuttings.  Mostly plugs.  Adored doing the hydrangea cuttings late each summer.
.
Mass market annuals do have their place & when needed I always put Jenny Hardgrave's company, Simply Flowers on the plan.

5 comments:

Maya said...

What a beautiful blog you have created. Congratulations!
Maya at http://jiloeastdesign.blogspot.com/

Barbara Pilcher said...

I've never really thought about this topic as an environmental issue. Good to hear you weigh in. The annuals sold are always chosen for their sturdiness, just like tomatoes in the supermarket. I've been shopping all the local sources for annuals for a cutting garden I'm starting, but there aren't that many. I guess they are too floppy. I'm glad I started my own zinnias, cosmos, and sunflowers from seed.

Anonymous said...

Love all of your posts! Really love this one!
Saturday there is a workshop at my house about organic gardening; no poison, no chemicals, and natural wildlife habitat!

I am thrilled they will be here!
The speaker is my new best friend! Corey from Lotusland! He is the "chief plant health advisor" (something like that!) He is in our "tribe, big time!!!""

Maybe a speaking engagement there! You can stay in our guest house!! (where the workshop is being held!!))

Working on it!

home before dark said...

I haven't done annual in over a decade. Much more effective, in my opinion, and cost friendly options with perennials and small shrubs.

La Petite Gallery said...

OH Tara, I never knew you could grow Hydrangeas from a cutting. Tell me how, do you cut at a slant and use root tone then what?

great post.
yvonne