Monday, April 15, 2013

Keeping Quirky in a Landscape

A 1945 cottage guest room, using what the client has.


Its original landscape lost to history.   Awnings, below, will remain.  Delightfully quirky.


Quirkier are the azaleas, above, perhaps early 2000?
.
Other parts of the landscape design will be 'done'.  These azaleas are pure Folk Art.  Adore having elements of a landscape design that don't look 'done'.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO Tara
.
Pics taken last week at client project.  Have seen these shingles used on homes from New York to Georgia.

8 comments:

Lori Buff said...

Don't you just hate it when people shape azalea's into something nature never intended. They are so pretty when left natural.

David C. said...

There is much to leaving plants to their own devices, just placed in a good spot.

Vera @ Cozy Little Cabin said...

What determines if a metal awning is tacky . . . or quirky?

Terry said...

I went by an awning house tonight in Kirkwood. I think they were holding the house up.

Barbara Pilcher said...

Yes, look how lush the blossoms are on those azaleas. They must be happy and/or someone knows the right way to prune them.

Those shingles: they do get around! I believe they are asbestos, so removal is problematic. Cute, though, and insulating, too.

The awnings I could do without, though.

You certainly get around as well.

Divine Theatre said...

I always leave here with a smile...

xo,

Andie

hidden art of homemaking said...

I have those awnings on my house with the same shingles and the very same red azaleas....so nice to see this featured on your blog b/c I always love your perspective..now I will just classify my front yard as quirky...since I chose to leave the awnings and azaleas and be pleased with the way they look...smile....
Mona

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I've got a copy of that bed in my house...it's beautiful!