Saturday, March 6, 2010

FORMAL + PSO

Deep winter dormant, I still know what this garden looks like. And why it works.
Formal hardscape: hedges & lines contrasted with chaos of plantings + informal tree trunks.
.
Italians have cone shaped shrubs, with scruffy PSO's, behind evergreen hedges. (My favorite!)
.
French gardens are quite rigid with evergreen hedging enclosing, oh let's say, tulips.
.
Ah, the English. Evergreen hedges exploding with herbaceous borders & flowering shrubs.
.
Take this style, evergreen hedge +lines + backfill plantings. Make it your own.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
PSO? Plant Shape Only!! Yes, more pics I took recently at Wing Haven.
.
My garden began as mostly English. Now, it's Italian + English.

2 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

I keep telling my adult daughter: do your hardscaping first! Then work around it. Of course I'm no expert.
Brenda

Barbara Wells Sarudy said...

You are right. Soft geometry enclosing glorious nature. Spectacular results.