Saturday, March 6, 2010


Deep winter dormant, I still know what this garden looks like. And why it works.
Formal hardscape: hedges & lines contrasted with chaos of plantings + informal tree trunks.
Italians have cone shaped shrubs, with scruffy PSO's, behind evergreen hedges. (My favorite!)
French gardens are quite rigid with evergreen hedging enclosing, oh let's say, tulips.
Ah, the English. Evergreen hedges exploding with herbaceous borders & flowering shrubs.
Take this style, evergreen hedge +lines + backfill plantings. Make it your own.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
PSO? Plant Shape Only!! Yes, more pics I took recently at Wing Haven.
My garden began as mostly English. Now, it's Italian + English.


Cozy Little House said...

I keep telling my adult daughter: do your hardscaping first! Then work around it. Of course I'm no expert.

BWS said...

You are right. Soft geometry enclosing glorious nature. Spectacular results.