Tuesday, October 6, 2009

CENTURIES OLD YET NEW

Nothing original here. It's all been done, for centuries. Yet it's fresh at each site. Easy to maintain.
.
IN THIS LANDSCAPE:
* Path mown thru low meadow on axis to home
* Repetition of greens
* Contrasting shapes, oval & connical, of large shrubs & trees
* Gravel terrace scaled appropriately to architecture of home & functional use
* Pair of planters, informing you, "Yes, enter here."
* Plant on the house, Gertrude Jekyll, world's 1st landscape designer, said, "The first thing I consider in a design is what to put on the house."
.
I'm already in my new cedar Adirondack chair, from Smith/Hawken going-out-of-business sale, reading a book on this gravel terrace. Of course it's stained the color of the window trim.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
Thank you Krystol for sending this pic from your England trip.

9 comments:

Southern Aspirations said...

Yes the trim is perfect! And Smith and Hawken is going out of business!?? Say it isn't so! That said, must check out the sale.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I love this photo. I kept pondering where it might be and then I saw. Of course. England.

Rob (ourfrenchgarden) said...

Hi Tara

I enlarged the pic.

Give me sash windows everytime. Is that house in the UK?

Tara Dillard said...

Yes, Rob, in the UK. Indeed!!

Also, the roof. Fabulous.

XO T

Krystol O'Rourke said...

This is from an amazing 14th c. moated house in Suffolk, UK- Columbine Hall.
The owners graciously allowed me to wander the grounds for an afternoon.

Terry said...

Beautiful place. This is frustrating for budget amateurs. Can we wait 500 years?

Here is what confuses me 'Pair of planters, informing you, "Yes, enter here."' Enter what?

Tara Dillard said...

This garden, mostly, in 5 years with the right plants. Many would be at big box stores. Budget plants, budget gravel, budget turf, budget maintenance & no watering once established.

The pots tell me, as I approach from the meadow, there is a step onto the terrace. The pots direct the eye & foot to enter the terrace.

Double axis; the pots, from the house, welcome you into the meadow from the gravel terrace.

XO Tara

Landscape Designer said...

When I look at this I remember a quote from Frank Loyd Wright. "Doctors bury their mistakes, architects plant Ivy."

Too much on the house for my taste.

Ah.... to be in the UK!

Sandra

Krystol O'Rourke said...

Terry-

Though I didn't speak to the owner or gardener, from the website for the estate, it seems the garden was planted sometime after 1993, in a 17th c. style. Designer was George Carter.

I agree with your frustration, though. You just can't get those roof tiles, ancient stone and leaded glass windows on a budget.