Wednesday, July 15, 2009

GARDEN SHOPPING

Will stain lattice boxes, wall brackets, & white lantern green to match the rest of the wood in my garden. Chickenwire cloches will be painted Robin's egg blue to match other iron. Tiny blue/white pots, above, were only $1. Bought all they had, only 4.
Hope you already know about Marshall's & TJMaxx for your garden. Granite gravel, #89, along with other bulk materials is available from Stone Forest.

For plants, locally, try: Buck Jones, Land Arts, Wilkerson Mill, Piccadilly, Goodness Grows, Ashe-Simpson, Pikes, Hastings, Habersham Gardens, & the ubiquitous big boxes.

Good pots, don't buy any other kind, are a specialty at Four Seasons Pottery.

Garage sales & rescues are necessary to every good landscape. Scott Antique Market, 2nd weekend each month, helps you create magic in your garden.

Nursery, 4 pics above, I shot in England at an estate garden open to the public. A fantasy. Where we all want to shop for plants, service, accouterments. Instead, gardens come together via hunting & gathering. Much hunting & gathering.
.
It's odd, gardening is a multi-billion/yr industry yet so difficult to shop for.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

6 comments:

the gardener's cottage said...

Dear Tara,

How do you place objects in the garden without them looking, well kinda cheesy. When I visit friends gardens they are full of objects and they look lovely. When I try to do it they just look out of place. What is your secret? Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated.

Tara Dillard said...

Janet, Main focal points are placed on axis with main views from the home. Cementing relationship of landscape-house-lifestyle. Focal points must be so wonderful they're fought over at your estate sale.

One Focal Point Per Area.

Subsidiary focal points allowed. They are more hidden. Little surprises.

Just Let It Touch. Focal points should be touching foliage. Tips of leaves should grace the outer edge of your focal point or a vine can be creeping up the base.

Subsidiary focal points, top picture, will be treated as interior design. Bought most of those things for a new garden room I'm creating in front of my home this fall.

Less Is Always More. Every rule has exceptions.

Sometimes, More Is Less. Until you're comfortable with More Is Less wait to do it.

You can't go wrong with, Less Is Always More.

Buy what you love, have fun, follow the rules, break some.

xo tara

the gardener's cottage said...

"Sometimes, More is Less." I have never heard that before. I must not be ready for it because I don't understand it! Thanks for the advice re focal points.

the gardener's cottage said...

I love your blog because you speak of the connection between the interior and exterior of the home. My question is rathr long but I would love your opinion.

We have just finised renovating the interior of a small cottage built in 1890. The interior is done mostly in white with black accents. Here is the dilemma. The exterior is painted red. It is very charming and I don't even have to tell people my address, everyone knows the little red cottage in the park. BUT, I've always wanted to live in a white house with black accents and red roses growing up the sides. People will be heartbroken if I paint this house, but I'm 51 and I'm planning to stay here forever. Do I respect history or do I live for myself? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Tara,

Janet@Thegardenerscottage.blogspot.com

Tara Dillard said...

Janet, Architecturally/historically your colors, white-black, are correct. Check plus.

Next, you're making the choice from a deep well of passion. Colors that make you happy.

Someone did that at your home, hence the red. Respect history by making a passionate color choice too.

Paint the house white with black accents. It's obvious you love this house. When you paint it your colors and plant your garden/landscape your home won't be, The house that used to be red. It will become, The white garden cottage in the park.

People sense passion. It's already in your words. Soon it will be in your garden.

XO Tara

the gardener's cottage said...

Tara,

I love you!

Janet