Monday, June 1, 2009

LANDSCAPE: LEARNING FROM MR. JIM'S FLOWER PLAN

Acres of scale in this garden, below. Look closely for the house, it's set, just left of center in the picture, far beyond the rose arbor. It doesn't matter if you're living in a cluster home or acreage.
Landscape design principles are the same for 200 acres or .25 acre. Above, canopy & understory trees, contrasting foliage textures (big leaves next to small leaves), formal contrasting with informal, full sun contrasting with full shade, focal point (the house), contrasting colors (greens, burgundy, flowers, trunks, sky). All elements of good landscapes, whether small or large.
MR. JIM has lived in his home & garden, above pics, over 30 years. He's owner of Gibbs Landscape and guess what he still does? Wow. I was shocked and it put a smile on my face to see that MR. JIM still draws a pencil/paper plan of the new season of annuals to be planted.
.
This small act, drawing a plan for his annuals, shows much about the man. More than his successful business, beautiful garden & elegant home. A serendipitous life lesson observing a flower plan WHILE IN USE.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tara,

Thank you for gloriously capturing the peace, grace, joy, hope, surprise, patience, and beauty that comes out of tending one's own garden. This evening was my first visit, and I feel that I have been given a gift. Tomorrow, as always, I will begin my day by looking to see what little pleasure or challenge my garden has decided to entrust to me. I garden in hot, humid Houston, Texas, and while it is not for the fainthearted, the rewards are great. Again, thank you for such an intelligent, layered site.....

Sharon Stanley Ruggerio