Friday, June 19, 2009

LANDSCAPE DESIGN: DRIVEWAY

This charming driveway greeted me earlier in the week. A 1-car garage enlarged into a 2-car garage. A gravel drive edged with stones.
.
.
.
Picture removed at request of contractor.
.

.
.
CHARM. CHARM. CHARM.
.
.
Picture removed at request of contractor.
.
.
Then I discovered the driveway is where the money ran out. Notice the apron of cement leading into the drive. It's still the original single car garage apron. Then it curves gently wider.
.
Instead of several thousand dollars for a new driveway, it was several hundred dollars. Yes. that much of a difference. Did you know gravel runs about $70/ton?
.
And I like the gravel drive better. CHARM.
.
Often, the 'more money' choice is not the right choice.
.
As the saying goes, Poverty is a great preserver.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
Note 6-21-09: Though the pics were removed today the idea is still worth keeping this post up.

3 comments:

Linda in AZ * said...

* TARA, good going here!

I just backread a good bit of your blog, and I enjoyed it SO MUCH!!! (The young newlywed couple sounds so darling, and I enjoy your writing style)...

Soooo, in the words of Ahhhhhnold, "I vill be baaaack"... put you on my favs and feed.

MANY THANKS & weekend BLESSINGS,
Linda in AZ *

Terry said...

I'm an all gravel, all the time, everywhere fan. Gravel drives are good things.

Living the life in The Little City said...

We're putting a gravel driveway in if I have my way. I wish I'd seen this post in time to have a look at the photos.